This year Jamie Oliver won the TED Prize. The TED Prize is awarded annually to an exceptional individual who receives $100,000 and, much more important, “One Wish to Change the World.” Designed to leverage the TED community’s exceptional array of talent and resources, the Prize leads to collaborative initiatives with far-reaching impact.
Jamie Oliver’s Wish
“I wish for your help to create a strong, sustainable movement to educate every child about food, inspire families to cook again and empower people everywhere to fight obesity.”
Set up an organization to create a popular movement that will inspire people to change the way they eat. The movement will do this by establishing a network of community kitchens; launching a travelling food theater that will teach kids practical food and cooking skills in an entertaining way and provide basic training for parents and professionals; and bringing millions of people together through an online community to drive the fight against obesity. The grassroots movement must also challenge corporate America to support meaningful programs that will change the culture of junk food.
- Help to establish the organization, with funding, office space and facilities.
- Find partners to equip and run the community kitchens, and food suppliers to provide the fresh ingredients.
- A partner to build and maintain a fleet of food theatre trucks.
- Education experts, graphic designers, artists and writers to develop and produce creative, fun teaching materials.
- Communications experts to create messaging for the movement.
- Web designers and developers to create and build the website.
- Establishment of a food line that generates a sustainable income for the movement.
- Corporate partners to invest in cooking and food education for their customers and champion honest food labelling.
- Your names added to the petition to challenge our leaders to make change now: www.jamiesfoodrevolution.com/petition
“Every child should be taught to cook in school, not just talk about nutrition all day. Good food can be made in 15 minutes. This could be the first generation where the kids teach the parents.” – Jamie Oliver
Jamie Oliver is transforming the way we feed our children, and ourselves.
Jamie Oliver has been drawn to the restaurant kitchen since he was seven or eight. First working in his father’s pub-restaurant and then training in England and France, he not only displayed incredible culinary talent, but also a passion for creating fresh, honest and delicious food. Although he is now one of the world’s top celebrity chefs, his commitment to simple, unpretentious food remains, and with it, his drive to break people’s unhealthy eating habits and get them cooking again.
With the obesity epidemic growing globally, Oliver is using his notoriety to bring attention to the changes Englanders and now Americans need to make in their lifestyles and diet. Campaigns such as School Dinners, Ministry of Food and Food Revolution USA combine Oliver’s culinary tools, cookbooks and television with more standard activism and community organizing to create change on both the individual and governmental level.
Learn more about Jamie at jamieoliver.com.